Tuesday, September 9, 2008

It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year...


I know what you're thinking, but this story isn't so much about football, or even sports in general, as it is about genetic makeup, rites of passage and the enduring power of pop culture. Nevertheless, a story worth telling, so I shall. I have to say that this past Monday could not have been sweeter. It's typically a good day - the weekend's over - there's a bit of a church hangover to work through, but the day is pretty well designed to do just that. But this one was especially good. Opening weekend of football season had come and gone with every game I care about having turned out beautifully. And for added pleasure, the Dodgers finally took over first place and are in position to make the playoffs. Amazing. But that's not why I'm writing - that just made it a good day. It really got sweet when I got home. We're coming into fall in SoCal - no more torturous 90 degree days - we're in the 70's and 80's now. I walked in the house, dinner was cooking, so I struck up a baseball game in the backyard with Colin until it was ready. We then sat on the patio as a family enjoying the scenery, the cool evening, dinner and each other. A great day still - but not why I'm writing. 

Following a bath, Colin and I retired to the couch in the den. Sporting new race car pj's and clasping various transformers, he crawled up next to me for a final stretch of play time before bed. As he did, I hit play on the DVR to begin the much anticipated season opening of Monday Night Football - Green Bay and Minnesota. No sooner did the piano riff at the start of Hank Jr's song begin than Colin perked up and leapt from the couch. By the end of the intro he was positioned in the open floor looking up at the TV and ready to rock. It seems "Are You Ready For Some Football" was just the phrase he's been waiting to hear for 4 years. He danced his little butt off for about 60 seconds while every ounce of testosterone in his body arose and shouted "this is why we're here!" As the song closes out, the special effects take over. Packer and Viking helmet/spaceships go burning through space until they come to a lit up Lambeau Field in which they descend. Each helmet lines up on the field facing the other - and then with great forward thrust ram head on into each other. It's a massive explosion of computer generated shrapnel that settles and morphs into the Monday Night Football logo. Just as the logo appears it is majestically underscored with the unmistakable sound of "da-da-da-da.... bom-bom...bom-bom.... da-da-da-da-da.... bom-bom...bom-bom.... da-da-da-da-da-da.... bom-bom-bom-bom....... da-da-da-da-da",  the orchestrated theme song that has declared it football season for 39 years. Colin - still standing in the middle of the floor looking straight up at the TV mounted above him - slowly turns his head - eyes and mouth wide open - and as if his breath has completely vanished whispers "whhooooaaa....", followed by a reverent silence. He completely gets it! No explanation needed! It's Monday Night Football for crying out loud! Surely there is a prouder moment in my life, but at this time it escapes me. I swear tears formed in my eyes. I could barely speak to express my great pride to Celeste who was sitting across the room. I was quite verklempt. 

Maybe it was the music - it stirs a lot of memories from a lot of years. Maybe it's the realization that I was just Colin's age when MNF began and can recall that same wonder. Heck - I still have it! Perhaps it's just the excitement of fall, cooler weather, holidays and football. Maybe it's just that I love my life, my family, my home and it was the culmination of a really great moment. Or maybe it was that I was out of deodorant that day and was forced to smell powdery fresh as I resorted to Celeste's that made me overly emotional. Whatever the reason - it was a great moment - on a great day - in what is hands down the most wonderful time of the year. Let the games begin.... Go Cowboys!

2 comments:

Andi and Michael said...

This post generated a lot of thoughts for me:
1. Verklempt? Had to look that one up.
2. Can deodorant really change your emotional status? That one made me laugh. Good try.
3. Isn't it great how music can elicit strong responses and bring back memories? That same football music brings me back to naptime...sweet Sunday naptime.

Love the blog. Can't wait to read more.

j-bird said...

Yeah, Walk went nuts over the new intro of flying helmets & explosions too. Glad to have Colin aboard!!!