Sunday, September 14, 2008

My... How He's Grown...


August 2004

August 2008

... and I don't mean Colin so much. I realized today that since he was born I've pretty much matched him pound for pound. We've each gained roughly 40 pounds since that day. I figure if I continue to match him I should weigh around 325 by the time he's in high school. I'm afraid it's time to do something - and I do mean afraid. There's not much I dislike more than eating right and working out. Why can't riding motorcycles, watching football and eating Corn Pops keep you fit? What a drag. I know I can do it - I lost 40 pounds while Celeste was pregnant - not the most sensitive thing to do by the way. I've since got them all back - maybe even a couple extra. So today as I'm lying on the couch watching football (see a pattern here?) Colin comes in and announces "Dad, you've got a big, fat tummy." Ouch! Kids say the darndest things, don't they? I immediately recall always teasing my dad as a kid with this same banter. What goes around, I guess. Anyway - I try and convince him that it's not really fat so much as just full. No - he assures me it's fat. "It looks like a big balloon", he says, "you just need to let some air out." He then spends the next several minutes pushing, sitting and jumping on my stomach in effort to deflate it and determined to see immediate results. He reluctantly concludes that this isn't really working and I agreed and told him it would require eating right and exercise. He declared that he knew some exercises and proceeded to demonstrate. Needless to say we then took a little walk around the neighborhood looking for some motivation. Didn't really find any out there. But - here I go - gotta do something. Think I'll pour a bowl of cereal and map out a plan.

13 comments:

Kristi said...

I am THRILLED beyond words to read your jaded thoughts. This will just have to do since I don't have nearly enough JD time in my life.

Love the story about Colin and your belly. At least you don't have strech marks on your belly too that your kid refers to as a "spider belly"....yeah, enough said.

Kim and JD said...

Very cool, I cant wait to see what kind of Jaded thoughts you will write about late at night. I love that Colin, said " no its just fat" I cant imagine where he gets his brutal honesty from.... :)
Pop came to visit Firewheel last weeksn, it was good to see him, although my shoulder is still sore (just kidding) I think he and JD were making plans to watch some football together soon. Have a great week !

Jennifer and Michael said...

How fun is this!!! I, too, am looking forward to hearing your jaded thoughts. I have so enjoyed reading all of your better halves' stories and thoughts, so it will be fun to read yours too.

Just a side note, I have been working out since the beginning of the summer and my motivation came from Isabella making a comment about me. It's funny how kids can make you think. Good luck!!!

Rachel Maples said...

glad you've joined the blogging world can't wait to see wha't other thoughts you fill our world with insightful wonders i'm sure.

love the story about colin, what a beautiful young boy he's turned into can't wait to read more.

Don said...

Good to have you sharing your great stories with the world.

Having a whole lifetime of belly issues of my own, I have to confess it was sadistically enjoyable to read of a young guy such as yourself dealing with it for a while. I'm sure you'll be where you want to be in short order.

Glad you're blogging, JD!

Steve Cuss said...

JD,

P90X is calling your name, man.

my weight gain wasn't so much child related as marriage related. I started marriage at 170lbs or so - pretty much bean pole boy. Now I'm "almost" down to 200, but peaked at 218 after a long trip to Australia with all my long lost relatives ("rellies") feeding me big chunks of meat.

glad you see you have a blog - can't wait to read more

dina said...

J.D. has a blog!!!?!!?!?!? WOO!!! HOO!!!!

Andi and Michael said...

We have an elliptical in the garage that you can try out anytime you want. It is reserved from 8:30-9 every night for Michael, but free any other time. No reservations or monthly club fee required.

I also know a few people who can help you count points if you want to take the Weight Watchers plunge. Double dog dare ya.

Kim and JD said...

I triple dog dare ya !!!

JD said...

wow - a triple dog sounds great! especially with mustard!
Yeah - I have a treadmill and weights in my garage reserved for me every night too. It's really more about motivation - and I think "you need to let some air out" is about as good as it gets. Now I'll lose just in time for Thanksgiving and Christmas... perfect... Cause nothing sucks more than the holidays on a diet! Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels... right?

Kristi said...

oh JD. I don't know if I agree. I think potato casserole...ham...turkey...green beans...and pie....tastes a LOT better than skinny. you can't go skinny in holiday season. it's just wrong.

Kim and JD said...

I am with you, man! After losing 34 pounds last year I abandoned the "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" approach. I decided to test that theory with just about everything I could get my hands on - brownies, chips and salsa, beer, steak and potatoes - you name it. Now I find myself realizing that the statement really is true - skinny feels pretty damn great. I am officially back on the wagon (or running next to the wagon to try to drop the 14 pounds I gained back). You could drop 15 or 20 before Thanksgiving if you really set your mind to it.
JD

j-bird said...

man, it just sucks getting old, no? I look like freakin' Homer Simpson when I take my shirt off these days.

DOH!!!!